- This event has passed.
Equity + JUST: A virtual workshop for social justice
August 11 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EDT
This is a call to action about what we, as building professionals, can contribute to stopping racial injustice.
WATCH: In this virtual workshop, explore some of the opportunities for equity in business organizations. We’ll use the JUST™ framework as an example of some productive practices to consider, as well as a potential certification your business or organization could pursue. Attendees will watch a 1-hour webinar about the International Living Future Institute’s JUST program, a voluntary disclosure tool for all types and sizes of organizations. The JUST™ program provides an innovative transparency platform for organizations to reveal much about their operations, including how they treat their employees and where they make financial and community investments.
DISCUSS: Afterwards, stay for a 30-minute group discussion to discover ways to promote social justice and equity within your organizations. This discussion will be facilitated by Alexis Gerhart, Interior Designer (Moody Nolan), and Johnna Keller, Architect and Sustainability Consultant (M+A Architects).
If you’re unable to attend this virtual workshop but are interested in taking concrete steps within our industry:
- Continue to support existing green building anti-racism coalitions, such as the NAACP’s Centering Equity in the Sustainable Building Sector initiative.
- Participate in the Equitable and Just National Climate Platform and Reconciliation Action Plans Platform.
- Continue to act as a convener, a platform, and a leader in sharing outside voices and differing perspectives.
- Understand the basic framework of the JUST™ Program
- Describe each of the social justice and equity indicators
- Explore the emerging trends in key organizational issues such as workforce diversity and worker happiness
- Discuss the business rationale for organizational investments in social justice programs
This course is approved for the following continuing education units:
1 AIA LU|HSW
1 GBCI CE hour (self-report)