- This event has passed.
El Barrio: Community Activism and Cultural Preservation
May 11 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm EDT
In the One Book, One Philadelphia 2022 selection, My Broken Language, Quiara Alegría Hudes shares intimate stories of her family and community in 1980s and 1990s Philly. At this intergenerational discussion inspired by Hudes’s memoir, community archivists, organizers, and artists will explore heritages of Philadelphia’s Puerto Rican communities, history and current activism, and present-day work to preserve Afro-Latine cultures. Following their conversation, a storytelling circle will invite attendees to share personal stories as we imagine the future of el barrio.
- Wilfredo Rojas, Co-Founder of the Philadelphia chapter of the Young Lords Party
- Michelle Angela Ortiz, art for social change muralist
- Nayda Cintron, Co-founder of the Norris Square Civic Association
- Michael Collazo, Philly Boricuas collective member
- Krista Cortes, Director, La Casa Latina
This online event is co-presented by the Kensington Library and will include simultaneous Spanish translation.
Image: “LUMINOSA” collaborative mural led by Michelle Angela Ortiz