Chicago Music Tour
August 3 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm EDT
About this Event:
Chicago has been at the crossroads of American Music for over a century. Join our exploration and tour of the city as we cover the three major origins for its musical influences: Blues, Jazz, and Gospel Music.
See, hear, and learn about:
- The Jazz Age of the 1920s and how Chicago influenced the development of Louis Armstrong and helped to catapult him into stardom as one of the revolutionaries of Chicago Jazz and Swing
- Thomas A Dorsey turning from Blues to Spiritual Music which creates the foundation for Chicago Gospel
- Modern Chicago Blues after WWll, with a special focus on Muddy Waters and the age of amplification which quickly evolved into Rock ‘N Roll with Chuck Berry in the mid 1950s
- The evolution of Gospel to Soul with such artists as Sam Cooke
- Musical technologists/DJs advancing Disco to House Music in the 1980s with Frankie Knuckles as the ordained Godfather
- How American music evolves with Hip Hop, and Rap becomes mainstream in 2000 with such Chicago artists as Kanye West
Wet your appetite and start your plans on visiting a music venue or festival as part of your next Chicago visit through this virtual tour!
About our presenter :
Bernie Verwiel is a Chicago native and an Event Services professional who has been a HI USA volunteer since 2013; he is a part time Tour-Guide that includes the rich musical history and contributions that Chicago has made for American music.